Chief Science Officer (m/f/d)
Working location: Canton of Zurich (hybrid working setup)
Starting date: as soon as possible
Scope of work: full-time preferred
Help us preserve the planet as a livable place through decarbonization!
Callirius brings private capital directly to climate impact through a digital marketplace giving climate solutions access to new funding sources and enterprises & investors access to high-quality nature-based climate projects.
We define quality and integrity based on a scalable data-driven, science-backed, and fully-regulated framework. Our Callirius Quality Engine identifies an overall positive impact on climate, nature and society.
At Callirius we want to ensure we build a balanced and diverse team, which can be challenging for an early-stage startup. We’re doing this by removing bias from our hiring process whilst monitoring the diversity balance in our talent pipeline.
Make Callirius stand out as a high-integrity thought leader and changemaker
We are looking for an experienced individual with a background in nature-based solutions (NbS) project development or related. You will be in the driver’s seat of the Project & Policy team and work closely with its team members. You will be responsible for sourcing high-quality climate solutions (pre- and post-issuance), assessing and ensuring their high integrity and impact.
You bring a strong work ethic, a willingness to hustle, and a deep network of project stakeholder relationships in the VCM and compliance markets.
Your mission at Callirius will be to…
- Lead the scoping of NbS project sourcing opportunities, including quality, impact and assessments
- Monitor the progress of the carbon project portfolio and provide expert guidance as needed to ensure effective implementation and execution
- Establish and nurture relationships with key internal and external stakeholders and partners to ensure the success of the climate projects
- Drive the reporting and communication of the development of the projects
- Stay up-to-date on current climate solutions and best practices, by constantly updating your comprehensive understanding, including their potential impacts, feasibility, and long-term benefit
- Create insights and predictions about the carbon space and the voluntary carbon market, using our proprietary and public data
- Position Callirius and yourself as thought leaders in Climate Tech, within the voluntary carbon market (VCM) and the NbS space
- Establish and nurture strong ties to institutions, academia and climate-related networks to stay close and influence carbon-related policy
- Support demand-side customers navigating the voluntary carbon market through expert education and guidance
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to constantly improve our product and service offering for the good of the climate and our stakeholders
Essentially, you bring…
- Passionate and heart-centered professionalism with a desire to build a better future for the generations to come
- 5+ years of relevant experience in NBS project development, including development aid, certification, landscape restoration, ecosystem services valuation, or otherwise relevant experience with carbon projects or the carbon market
- Excellent academic record in sustainability, environmental sciences, GIS & dMRV (e.g., remote sensing) or similar
- Exceptional analytical skills and experience in quantitative research working with strong rigor and attention to detail
- The ability to successfully communicate complex topics geared towards heterogeneous target groups
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and ideally in German
Ideally, you bring as a bonus…
- Connections with project developers, as well as consultants and technical experts in carbon credit certification
- Experience in the preparation of project idea notes, and project design and validation documents
- On-the-ground understanding of the realistic development timelines and financing (i.e., based on environmental, social, political and operational aspects) associated with each project vertical and type
- Strong understanding of the project development organization landscape of different geographies
Working at Callirius brings you…
- A life experience of joining an early-stage climate tech startup, building a new company from the ground up, with a mission that matters more than ever
- The opportunity to grow as a forward-looking expert in climate action, decarbonisation and the carbon markets
- The flexibility of a hybrid working setup and a performance assessment based on results
- A dynamic, open-minded, caring, and mission-driven team
- Open horizons – as many questions are still to be answered, join now and have a say in how we manage ourselves as a company!
Excited to apply?
Please fill in our application form. In your motivation letter please indicate your earliest available start date, where you found this job posting, and what excites you about joining our team!
We’ll be in touch with the next steps as quickly as we can. But as we are a lean team, please, bear with us!